- Taxation of passenger cars and motorcycles: The tax you have to pay before you register the car and before you can ride along in the Netherlands. This tax you have to calculate the catalog value of the car.
- Import duties
When you buy a new or second-hand car abroad, you yourself must make a declaration to the tax authorities. Basically, the car should be as soon as possible on Dutch license and therefore should be put first all taxes have been paid.
Only after the BPM tax is paid, the car license plate is registered by the RDW. You must do this whether this should be done before you start the car in the Netherlands driving. Otherwise you offense. Also note that in order to be able to put the car on the vehicle must undergo a test license by the RDW for you to officially accept the road allowed.
The BPM tax you have to calculate the list price of the car. Here you first pull from the VAT. There remains a net list price about. You should not rely on the consumer from a price list; it comes to the amount after the turnover of this is drawn off. Additional products are also accomplices and BPM in the same way as the vehicle itself.
With a new car list price applies from the moment that the car actually gets a Dutch license.
In a second car, however, applies the list price of the date on which the vehicle was first taken into use abroad. To figure out what the car is worth, you need in this case whether a valuation or you can calculate the depreciation. Therefore you either need a price list from a dealer or use the data from the so-called fixed scale of the tax authorities. Based on these three methods you are free to choose the most economical and convenient for you.
Determining the actual BPM tax
The easiest way you can do so, use the examples on the website of the Tax Administration or the calculator on the website of the VWE. The calculation is in fact not easy when you have to carry it myself and these tools have made it easy to calculate the BPM.
- Make sure you know what the car will cost you including BPM, VAT and any import duties; this applies to both new and used cars
- Note that you will extinguish the net list price of the car
- Compare the total cost, taking into account the load, with what you would pay here in the Netherlands for the same car and base your choice here.
- Leave the car at least insure when you ride him to the Netherlands from abroad
- Let approve the car by the RDW
- Do not go longer than permitted in the Netherlands driving with a foreign license plate
- Make sure you check whether the dealer has fulfilled all duties and ensures that you yourself have done declaration
- Make sure you are in possession of a Dutch vehicle registration