Environmentally airlines and aircraft

More attention is paid to the environment than ever before. One thing is certain: the climate is changing. Whether this is due to human actions or pure nature, that is the question. Man must ensure that he is affected as little as possible. We must emit less and be more environmentally conscious. Airlines also realize that they have to contribute a bit, also by consumer demand.

'Green' airlines

Environmentally friendly: Lufthansa
Lufthansa is one of the world's leading companies wishing to contribute to a cleaner world. Lufthansa has been since 1970 a contribution to make. The airline is in the process to eventually recover at least 10% of all the necessary fuel from natural sources. This is also known as bio-fuel. They also want to make use of new technologies and strategies to the CO2 emissions of their fleet in 2020, compared with 2006, to have reduced by 25%. Further, they have installed over 20,000 lighter seats in 2006 in what ails their planes or 12 000 tonnes of CO2 in one year.
Environmentally friendly: Easyjet
Also, a low-budget company can be environmentally friendly. Easyjet has other engines mounted under its Airbus A319 aircraft. Thereby also emissions of harmful gases will decrease by 25%. The engines have 1% lower fuel consumption per aircraft which 200 tons of CO2 per year saving. In 2015, they want to have the CO2 emissions of their fleet reduced by 50%. The motors are also more friendly sound. Since 2002, the CO2 emissions per passenger kilometer is reduced by 18%.
Environmentally friendly: Virgin Airlines
This company was the first who performed a flight with a Boeing 747 with a fuel mixture consisting of 20% bio-fuel. The remaining 80% consisted of conventional fuel. The company is committed to contributing to a cleaner world. Thus is a huge part of their profits to the research and development of alternative fuels. Also this company has placed a huge order with Boeing, consisting of 15 aircraft of the new model Boeing 787 Dreamliner. This aircraft uses 20% less fuel per passenger, compared with planes of the same size.

Airlines who test bio-fuel

  • Air New Zealand
  • Continental Airlines
  • JAL
  • JetBleu
  • Lufthansa
  • Virgin Atlantic

Our own KLM is also doing well. They also make use of bio-fuel and modernize the fleet with new, more efficient aircraft. However, for many companies, the cost is a problem. Bio-fuel consumes five times as much as conventional fuel, kerosene. Before companies can use this fuel production must get going. The problem is that there are still not sure whether biofuel in the end really is as environmentally friendly, there is indeed huge demand. It is this still investigating.

Environmentally friendly and environmentally unfriendly aircraft

Vligtuigen were very environmentally unfriendly, and some types still are. Fortunately, new devices more environmentally friendly and efficient. An overview.
Environment-friendly aircraft
  • Airbus A319: This is 15% more efficient than comparable Boeing 737-300
  • Boeing 787 Dreamliner: The new flagship Boeing promises to be an unparalleled success. This aircraft is lighter, quieter and more fuel efficient than other aircraft. Fuel savings is recognized by 20% per passenger.
  • Aircraft with propeller drive: These use much less fuel than a jet engine. They are a lot slower.

Environmentally unfriendly aircraft
  • Airbus A380: This is a new device which can carry the most passengers. Airbus claims that the A380 is the most environmentally friendly aircraft. However, these findings may only be true if the A380 was equipped with the maximum number of seats, which rises to more than 800. This would mean that the device contains only economy class. Then the fuel consumption would be lower per passenger. However, the three-class configuration of the A380 aircraft operators have only 450 to 490 seats and thus picks up the fuel consumption per passenger much worse off. There also is the fact that most of the flights for only 80% are fully booked.
  • MD-82: This unit is officially called McDonnell Douglas 82. This unit is very robust and easily keep the 30 year. They are still active but are old and inefficient. An MD-82 emits 21% more than a modern Airbus A319 Easyjet.
Comments (1)
11-02-2018

Good afternoon, I have to make an assignment for my education about environmentally friendly aircraft and airlines. Well my question I may use the information in your article? Best regards.