In the Soviet Union changed the ship's name and another function. It would henceforth bear the name Sedov and it became a training ship of the Navy research vessel. Under research vessel must be understood that the vessel was used to obtain information during the "cold war". The name Sedov came from the Russian naval officer and Arctic explorer Georgy Sedov. From 1957 to 1966 run with the cadets on board the Northern part of the Atlantic to make oceanographic research. Sedov then became the property of the Ministry of Fisheries that it is used as a training ship. Between 1975 and 1981 the Sedov was on the Navy Yard Kronsjtadt in St. Petersburg for major repair work.
In 1981 the ship was also rebuilt so that more people could participate. There were also sports halls, classrooms and a small museum built into the ship. The ship was Riga homeport, ice-free in winter. In August 1981, the Sedov food for the first time since the war, a Western harbor, Horsens in Denmark. Since 1991, the ship owned by the Technical University of Murmansk. The Sedov sailing from spring to autumn as a training ship in the North and Baltic Sea. Also paying passengers can sail, but the number is limited. Poor 44 lucky ones can join any time. Very cheap short trips are not. The revenue is used to finance the running costs. Passengers on board may help wherever they like. Some love to climb the masts, others prefer to be at the helm and still others prefer to keep themselves busy with the sails. No problem, there is plenty to do on board. Because the home is relatively cold, the University let the ship wintering in German ports.
In the summer of 2005 the Sedov served as a film set for running a film about the sinking of the Pamir. The white hull was painted black above. The color black has remained to this day. That is the reason why one can see pictures of the ship, one time with a white, another time with a black body.
In April 2010, the ship left for an expedition to the northernmost regions: Iceland, Norway, Svalbard and Franz Josef Land. The Sedov is the first vessel which has called Spitsbergen. The expedition is held in memory of the sailors of the Soviet fleet who died during World War II and takes just 65 years after the end of the World War. The ship has 103 students on board, including 10 girls. Only in October 2010, the Sedov sailing back to Murmansk.
The Sedov is still today the largest sailing still traditional zelschip, and the second largest sailing ship in the world, after the newly built Royal Clipper.
Sedov and Kruzenshtern are the two last remaining cargo sailing ships that sailed to South America. In 2011, the Sedov will celebrate his ninetieth birthday.
- Flag: Russia
- Name: Sedov
- Nickname: UELO
- Year: 1921
- Construction site: Shipyard Friedrich Krupp Germania Yard, Kiel
- Home port: Murmansk
- Length: 117.5 m overall
- width: 14.70 meters
- mast height: 58 meters
- maximum sail area: 4192 m²
- auxiliary engine: diesel engine 1150 HP
- crew: 55 to 60 permanent crew, 110 cadets, 44 paying passengers
- A-class tall ship
- Ship Type: four-masted barque training ship
- Hull: Steel
- film about the sinking of the Pamir: hull was painted black
- 34 sailing
- most still sailing traditional sailing boat
- second largest sailing ship in the world after the Royal Clipper
- along with the last remaining cargo Kruzenshtern sailing ship to South America